At Canter we work each day to make product information management (PIM) as easy as possible. As with everything else, those who manage to make complex things easy will prevail, and this is also the case with product information management.
Although it’s not complex in the first place.
Or at least we don’t think it has to be, and following few principles will go long way. While company and industry specific differences do exist, the basic principle will always be the same.
PIM is not an IT project.
It is the implementation of new mode of operation that includes both change management and automation of manual processes. PIM system does not do everything automatically, but instead operates as enabler. In order to make product information management for our clients as easy as possible, we have focused especially on the following and been actively developing them.
We think that acquiring IT system should not be a complex task. Pricing models based on the amount of users or transactions direct the decision making incorrectly, and instead we think that it is more important to find out how to make most out of the usage and processes. The more our clients use the PIM system and the data it provides, the better are the benefits they can get out of it.
Easy acquisition also depends on:
- the length of the contract – we believe in the added value we provide, not in long contracts
- the possibility of starting with just simple specifications
- what sort of training is included
- how the client is supported with change management
- the update guarantee
Easy deployment of a system leads into powerful use. When the basis is solid, it is also easier to do change management.
Easy deployment means many things:
- how well the specification workshops are managed and prepared
- clear practices and industry-specific productization
- ease of installation and parameterization of the system
- functioning Application Program Interfaces (APIs) facilitate the integration
- best practices and connectors to the most common systems
Easy-to-use user interface motivates the users to handle the upkeep of product information and benefit from the data.
Good user experience is the sum of its part, and listed are just few key points:
- logical, reliable user interface
- search functions that work faster than a though
- smart recommendations
- mass editing, importing and exporting; especially useful when dealing with large amount of products
Seldom does a PIM system operate alone, and usually it’s a part of at least one other system. It is very common to have it integrated with many other systems, for example with ERP or a webstore.
System integration needs to be easy, so well documented and standardized API makes it easier and faster for everyone. This allows the data to be exchanged between multiple systems without massive integration projects.
Easy expansion and usage of data
We want to help our clients to benefit from their product information more effectively. When PIM interfaces are functional and open, it’s easy to build data-based applications with the help of product information. This allows for our clients to work with those they see fit themselves.
Could we help you to make your product information management easy as well? Contact us!